- Limit the number of proctored exams.
- Leave exams open for at least two days to accommodate student schedules.
- Request proctoring early (preferably before the semester begins).
- Use multiple methods (syllabus, announcements, email, etc.) to inform students about proctoring.
- If mailing test materials or supplies, allow 1 week for delivery.
- If your exam is on Canvas, make sure to provide the passwords for accessing the exam.
The Office of Distance Education provides exam proctoring for students taking your online course, who are truly at a distance; or can’t make it to the Las Cruces campus to take an exam at the department due to work responsibilities; or are homebound due to a medical condition.
The NMSU Office of Distance Education offers three proctoring services to instructors:
- Administration of proctored exams on the Las Cruces campus for students taking online courses from either another NMSU campus or university.
- Coordination and verification of offsite proctors for students who are taking an NMSU-Las Cruces campus course, but cannot come to the NMSU-Las Cruces campus.
- Coordination of online exam proctoring with ProctorU, if permitted by the instructor. The student is responsible for payment. Watch the ProctorU video to learn more about their online proctoring service and read the ProctorU Faculty handout.
Note: The Office of Distance Education does not provide proctoring for Las Cruces campus students who are taking online courses offered by the Las Cruces campus. The department or faculty member is responsible for proctoring their exams.
If you are teaching a Las Cruces campus online course and want the exams proctored online, you can offer your Las Cruces campus students the option to use ProctorU. However, it will be the instructor’s responsibility to setup the exam with ProctorU. Read the ProctorU Instructor handout to learn more. The student will be responsible for paying for this service per the NMSU ProctorU rates.
For questions about the NMSU Office of Distance Education proctoring services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (575) 646-8231.
If you are requiring exam proctoring for your online course, you need to include this information in your syllabus. A syllabus statement template is provided for you to customize for your course via the menu under Faculty or by clicking on syllabus statement.
Las Cruces Campus Proctoring
The Office of Distance Education proctors both paper/pencil and online tests for other NMSU campuses and other universities. For larger groups, the Office of Distance Education has a computer lab which can be scheduled for exams (availability is limited). To schedule a proctored exam at the NMSU-Las Cruces Office of Distance Education:
- Complete the Las Cruces Campus – Instructor Request for Administration of a Proctored Exam at least 10 business days before the test or quiz. Please include a list of students (name, email, phone) who will be proctored.
- After reviewing your form, you will be contacted within 2 business days to verify receipt of your submission.
- Inform students of dates, times and location of proctoring. Students will need to bring 2 forms of ID, with at least one being a picture ID.
- If applicable, arrange to have exam materials and supplies emailed at least 2 business days before the exam start date.
Drop off: Milton Hall, Room 185H
Mail: Exam Proctor NMSUproctor@nmsu.edu, Office of Distance Education, New Mexico State University, Box 30001, MSC 3IIQ, Las Cruces, NM 88003
Fax: (575) 646-2044
Albuquerque Center Proctoring
More information is available at Albuquerque Center Proctoring.
Location: NMSU Albuquerque Center at Central New Mexico Montoya Campus, 11024 Montgomery Blvd NE, PMB #300
Albuquerque, NM 87111
Phone: (505) 830-2856
Fax: (505) 883-3235
Students who cannot make the trip to campus will be responsible for arranging for local proctoring in a timely fashion, at least 2 weeks prior to the first exam. We will make every attempt to accommodate a last minute request in the case of extenuating circumstances.
In order to take an off-site proctored exam, students are required to complete the Proctored Testing Form for Online Course. The NMSU Office of Distance Education will review and approve (or deny) this request.
ProctorU Online Exam Proctoring
If you are allowing online exam proctoring through ProctorU, you need to submit a Las Cruces Campus – Instructor Request for Administration of a Proctored Exam. Your exam must be an online exam administered through a learning management system.
Other NMSU Campus Proctoring Services
For information about proctoring at Alamogordo, Carlsbad, DACC, and Grants, please contact the appropriate campus:
- Alamogordo Testing Center
- Carlsbad Testing Center
- DACC Student Resources Testing Services
- Grants Testing Center